The Zambia Environmental Management Agency (“ZEMA”) is a statutory body established under the Environmental Management Act (“EMA”) No. 12 of 2011. Its mandate is to do all things necessary to ensure the sustainable management of natural resources and protection of the environment, and the prevention and control of pollution. In pursuance of its mandate, ZEMA is now inviting applications from a visionary, competent, and experienced Zambian citizen to fill the position of Director of Finance.
- Job Purpose
Under the supervision of the Director-General, the Director provides leadership and management to the Agency’s Directorate of Finance for the effective and efficient execution of ZEMA’s Accounting Function as prescribed by its strategic plan, all relevant accounting legislation, and routine government policy directives.
- Main duties and Accountabilities (without limitation)
The main duties and responsibilities of the Director of Finance include;
- Supervise and provide policy/strategic guidance to the Finance Directorate;
- Enforce a strong governance and control framework in the management of ZEMA’s resources;
- Prepare annual budget proposals and consolidate ZEMA’s plans, incorporating own department’s plans and recommendations, and present them to superiors for scrutiny/consideration and approval by management and the Board. Monitor expenditure trends once the budget has been approved, to ensure that they are strictly within approved appropriations;
- Control, provide guidelines, coordination, and directives in the finance and accounting activities involving the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and annual accounts, cash flow projections, salaries, terminal benefits, staff advances, allowances, payments to suppliers, applications for the allocation of foreign currency, provision of agent services such as Savings Bank, Pensions, etc.;
- Advise the Director General and management in general on the formulation of corporate plans and policies, which include capital projects/expenditure, on the institution’s financial status, on whether plans can be financially beneficial or not, alternative financial resources, as well as current/future financial obligations;
- Direct and implement the institution’s financial and accounting policy, and liaise closely with other departmental heads on the same;
- Control and affect the institution’s cash flow in order to meet obligations without disturbing operations, through the determination of priorities, amounts to sanction, when and where, etc., to ensure optimum efficiency;
- Check revenue collected and expenses to ensure that they are correctly carried out and accountability is met;
- Monitor closely both current and fixed assets, maintain a fixed asset register showing all assets, and provide depreciation at acceptable rates in accordance with general accounting principles, and advise the Director General and the Board accordingly;
- Supervise subordinates to ensure efficiency, and ensure the development and training of subordinates to improve the standard of accounting. Attend to and provide solutions to problems/activities beyond the competence of subordinates; and
- Perform other related accounting tasks, as and when required.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 School Certificate or its equivalent.
- Bsc in Accounting/Finance
- Chartered Accountant (ACCA) or CIMA
- Master of Science in Finance or Accounting/MBA
- Full Member of the Zambia Institute of Certified Accountants
- Minimum Relevant Pre-Job Experience
Ten (10) years’ work experience in a reputable organization, of which five (5) years must have been at Senior Management level
- Required attributes and Competencies
- Visionary and goal-driven;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the Accounting Function from the strategic level down to the routine function;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of all accounting legislation and government policies and guidelines on accounting in public institutions;
- Proven track record of delivering organisational results that exceed expectations;
- Exceptional interpersonal and team-working skills;
- High level of computer literacy; and
- Pragmatic, efficient, and highly organised personality.
- Tenure of employment & Remuneration
- Five (5) year contract term, renewable subject to satisfactory performance
- Competitive Executive Remuneration package.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
Interested persons are requested to submit electronic or hard copies of their curriculum vitae, along with three readily contactable references, copies of relevant academic/professional certificates, and an application letter stating their motivation, to the address below:
THE BOARD CHAIRPERSON
ZAMBIA ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AGENCY
CORNER OF SUEZ & CHURCH ROADS
P O. BOX 35131
The envelope or email containing above application documents to be clearly labelled ‘APPLICATION FOR THE VACANCY OF DIRECTOR FINANCE”
THE CLOSING DATE FOR ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS IS 14TH FEBRUARY, 2024
ZEMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND AS SUCH, FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR THIS VACANCY.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org