ZAMBIA ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AGENCY
CALL FOR COMMENTS
REVIEW OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT REPORT FOR THE Proposed Copper-Cobalt, Gypsum and Iron Oxide Processing Plant and Tailings Storage Facility in Mukulumpe Area, Kalulushi District By Anglo African Services Limited
Anglo African Services Limited intends to construct a copper-cobalt, gypsum and iron oxide processing plant and associated facilities in Mukulumpe Area in Kalulushi District, Copperbelt Province. The proposed project site is located about 1.5km away from the Kitwe-Chingola dual carriage way. The total area for the proposed project is about 19ha. The project lifespan is estimated to be 20 years and the project capital cost is USD 1.192m.
The proposed project will involve recovering of copper and cobalt from copper-cobalt ore which will be sourced from Yong Jia Renewable Resources Company Limited located about 500m away from the project site. The production process will involve crushing of the ore, grinding, soaking, leaching, cementation and precipitation. The tailings to be produced from the process will be pumped to the tailings storage facility for storage. The plant is designed to produce the following products per month; 360 tonnes of copper ingots, 600 tonnes of cobalt concentrate, 300 tonnes of iron oxide, and 2, 400 tonnes of gypsum. The scope of works during construction and operation will be as follows:
- Installation of the processing plant;
- Installation of the ore crushing plant;
- Construction of the ore storage area;
- Construction of the tailings storage facility and settling ponds;
- Construction of office buildings, a store room, workshop, weigh bridge and laboratory;
- Construction of sulphuric acid storage tanks;
- Electrical installations;
- Construction of water reservoir facilities;
- Construction of leaching tanks, thickeners and precipitation tanks;
- Installation of the fuel storage tank;
- Ore delivery, crushing, conveying, grinding, drying, leaching, cementation of copper and melting, precipitation of iron oxide, precipitation of cobalt concentrates and precipitation of gypsum; and
- Waste management.
In order to manage the impacts of the proposed project, Anglo African Services Limited have proposed environmental and socio-economic impacts management plans in the Environmental Impact Assessment Report.
This notice therefore serves to inform members of the public, interested and affected parties that an Environmental Impact Assessment Report for the above mentioned project has been received by ZEMA in line with the provisions of the Environmental Management Act No. 12 of 2011 and the Environmental Impact Assessment Regulations, Statutory Instrument No. 28 of 1997, for review. The report is available for scrutiny at the following places:
- ZEMA – Northen Region Office, Ndola
- ZEMA – Information and Documentation Centre, Lusaka
- Kalulushi Municipal Council – Kalulushi Civic Centre
Interested and affected parties may send their written submissions to the undersigned. The deadline for submission of comments is Friday, 1st March, 2019.
The Director General
Zambia Environmental Management Agency
Corner of Church and Suez Roads
P.O. Box 35131, LUSAKA
Tel No: +260 211 254023/59
Fax No: +260 211 254164